Thakadu Bush Camp
Ghanzi | Botswana
Thakadu Camp is situated near Ghanzi village in Botswana, some 670km from Gaborone, 500km from Windhoek and 280km from Maun. It is set on a private game reserve and the turn off is 3km south of Ghanzi on the road to Lobatse and Namibia. It is also only 39km north from the Trans Kalahari highway junction to Namibia. The turn-off is clearly signposted and a 3km rocky trail (negotiable by 2WD's) brings you to the camp.
This popular bush camp is also the perfect stopover for self-drive tourists on the way to the Okavango Delta and the Moremi Game Reserve. Many travellers also opt to experience a trip into the Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR) from here. Ghanzi is served by its own airfield and fly-in and transfers to the camp can be arranged. Thakadu is the Tswana name for 'anteater'.
Employment in Ghanzi mainly centres around cattle farming that supplies Botswana with most of its beef requirements. Remote Area Development settlements have been established in the region, providing basic social services like schools and health facilities. As Ghanzi is 'cattle country', livestock rearing and agriculture training is available, as is instruction and education in handicrafts, textiles, carpentry and dressmaking. Another development project in Ghanzi is Ghanzicraft, located on the main street in town, near the post office.
Thakadu overlooks a natural pan with permanent water, surrounded by ancient 'motswiri' or leadwood trees. Large numbers of game and a fabulous variety of birds are attracted to the water. The main building houses the restaurant and a 'well-stocked bar', Thakudu's popular 'waterhole by the waterhole'. Their cosy restaurant overlooks the 'floodlit' pan and serves excellent 'a la carte' meals including an English breakfast, light snacks for lunch and a variety of tasty game meats for dinner. Members of the local farming and business communities also enjoy dinner at Thakadu.
Other facilities include a split-level swimming pool, (which also overlooks the pan), curio shop and visitors can catch up on all the latest world news and major sporting events in the TV room. Families are most welcome at Thakadu.
Accommodation is provided in tented camps at 2 levels:
- Meru-style tents - These are twin-bedded East African style safari tents, which are erected on rock plinths overlooking the surrounding bush environment. Mains electricity and en-suite shower and toilet are standard.
- Safari dome tents - These are 3m dome tents and twin beds and electric lights are standard, with shared ablution facilities of hot and cold running water, bucket showers and toilets.
- Join a member of the Bushmen community on a guided walk around the reserve. Learn of their ancient customs and traditions.
- Game drives
- Morning, afternoon and evening game drives can be organized. Kudu, eland, springbok and warthog, are amongst game species here.
- Horse trails
- A horse-riding trip can be organized, but should be booked in advance.
- Bushman dances
- Enjoy pre-dinner entertainment in the form a vibrant and colourful demonstration of bushman dancing and singing. Many of the dancers are from the staff village. Advanced booking is advisable.
Hotel in the village of Ghanzi
Situated outside of town, this bush camp offers basic accommodation and excellent activities
- Children are welcome